A while back, my sister Jane and I had a conversation about what really bothers us, what our biggest pet peeves are. It served as an awakening for both of us for I was unaware that there should probably be a limit to how many pet peeves you have and she realized how weird I am. Jane had one pet peeve she shared with me-When people pretend to be dumb when they are not, which is funny because my whole life I’ve been pretending to be smart when I’m not-Whereas if I were to write down the pet peeves I shared with her, I would need a scroll. Here are just a few of the ones I shared with her:
1. The Wind- I am not talking about a nice summer breeze, I mean the gusty, obnoxious wind that is blowing your hair around and drying out your eyes. It’s terrible. Have you ever tried to eat outside when there is wind? You have to keep one hand on your paper plate to prevent it from blowing away, drinks get knocked over, the bag of chips gets blown off the table, debris like leaves and sticks get in your food, it’s literally my nightmare. Then you’re trying to eat and the wind keeps blowing your hair everywhere, tickling your face and getting in your food. Not sanitary at all really.
Two of my sisters on the other hand absolutely love the wind. Whenever we are riding in the car on a nice day I plead for the A/C to be turned on and they want all the windows down. They love riding in the car with the wind in their face and hair like a bunch of dogs while I’m just sitting there putting Visine in my eyes every three minutes to prevent them from drying out. In no way do I enjoy wind. And I don’t find the sound of wind chimes relaxing either. They just accentuate the annoying qualities of the wind.
2. When they sing the Our Father at church-I HATE this. The Our Father Prayer was not meant to be sung. Really I think the music director at our church is on a power trip in doing this. Why does she have to steal the show from God? Not only is the tune dreary and depressing, it also lengthens the mass time. If God wanted the Our Father to be song, he would have already put it to a catchy tune. I usually spend the first half of the mass leading up to the Our Father praying that we do not sing the Our Father. Each time it is sung I can’t help but let out a disgusted sigh. I refuse to sing it. Not because I don’t have a good voice, my voice is amazing, just like all the other qualities about me, it’s just the principle of the thing.It takes everything in me not to walk out right then and there.
3. Waiting for things-I am the most impatient person in the world so I cannot stand to wait, it is the biggest waste of time. It is boring and inefficient.
4. When someone knocks on the door when I am in the bathroom-Did you see how the bathroom door was closed? That means someone is in there. I get it if someone is taking a long time, knock away. It bugs me when I am not even in there for a minute and someone knocks. Is it too much to ask to have 3 minutes of privacy? Also when someone is trying to talk to me while I’m in the bathroom. I have terrible hearing so a closed door doesn’t help matters. It’s not exactly enjoyable when you’re on the toilet saying, “What?! Huh?? I can’t hear you! Just wait a second I’ll be out in a minute! Sheesh!!”
5. Bushes that take up half the sidewalk-There is this bush a couple blocks away from my house and the owners of the home planted this bush pretty much right on the edge of their lawn where the sidewalk begins. I’m sure when it was first planted it didn’t take up half the sidewalk but those homeowners should have thought about the future. Bushes grow up! And they get bigger. These people must be the most irresponsible bush planters I have ever met. Now this bush takes up so much of the sidewalk that people walking by have to walk around it on the grass. Isn’t the point of having sidewalks so people don’t have to walk in the street or on other people’s grass? That’s what I thought.
6. Having to do things after work-This may be my biggest pet peeve. Dentist appointments, hair cuts, work out classes (oh gosh I almost could not type that one I was laughing so hard. lolzz jk jk I don’t go to work out classes) having plans, all of these are terrible things to have to do after work. Having a job is both depressing and tiring. Once 5 o’clock hits I am on me time. Please don’t make me do things I want to do.
I told Jane a few more but I will stop here because I don’t want people to think I am too weird. I can also feel my blood pressure rising just writing about these pet peeves so I better stop. I guess to sum things up, the worst day of my life would probably be an after work event where I waited in line for the bathroom on a sidewalk that bushes were taking over, on a windy day while people sang the Our Father to me, only to get into the bathroom and have someone knock on the door the minute I got in. That would be my Hell.